WASHINGTON ENGLISH INSTITUTE
CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER
1. Hi my name is Mary. What_______ name?
c. 's your
2. Is this your bag ? Yes, __________
a. it is
b. it's my
3. Where_________ dictionary?
b. Is Juan
c. 's Juan's
d. Juan is
4. How __________ your mother?
a. many years is
b. is from
c. is like
d. old is
5. My sister and I______ very early
a. getting up
b. gets up
c. don't get up
d. doesn't get up
6. Do you________ to class in the mornings?
a. to be
7.________ do you rent movies?
c. how often
8. In my town, there's______ shopping mall
9. A: My best friend's from France
B: France?_________? That's interesting
c. You Know
10. A: I love this neighborhood
B: ____________ Me too
a. Me too
b. So do I
c. Me neither
d. I am too
11. It ___________ right now
a. 's raining
b. 's rain
12. I ____________ Karate twice a week
13. I need _________ new shoes
b. buy my
c. to buy
14. I like this watch. How much_________?
a. it costsy
c. does costs
d. does it cost
15. If you go to New York, you can_______ a ferry to the statue of liberty
a. to take
16. I ________ for the math exam last night
a. to study
17. What ________ last weekend?
a. did you do
b. you did
c. do you do
d. you do
18. ___________ You like to go out tonight?
19. A: So, you're here for a week on vacation. That's fantastic!
B: _________! I'm having a great time
b. Oh, good
c. Really well
20. A: I passed my driver's test!
a. Well, anyway
b. Oh, that's too bad
c. Um, well
d. You did? Cool!
21. A: Do your parents live nearby?
B: Yes, they_________
22. I'm good__________
a. for dance
b. to dance
c. a dancer
d. at dancing
23. I sneeze all the time. I have__________
a. a stomach
c. a cough
24. I know! Let's give mom some flowers for______ birthday!
25. What ________ for Christmas this year?
a. do you do
b. are you going to do
c. you're doing
d. do you do
26. Where ________ bor
a. did you
c. you did
d. were you
27. A: Are there any cash marchines near here?
B: Yes, __________________ over there
a. is one
b. there are
c. there's one
28._____________ You give me directions, please?
29. Do you like carnivals and_______________ like that?
30. A: The aerobics class starts at 7:00.
B: _________? It start at what time?
b. I am sorry
d. Did you say
31. Is it easy__________ around your town?
b. to get
32. Maybe you__________ learn some French before you go to Paris
33. __________ books are these? Are they yours?
d. whose is
34. I__________ my homework when you called
c. 'm doing
d. Was doing
35. I hurt __________ at the gym yesterday! I sprained my ankle
b. my self
36. I thing e-mail is ________ than regular mail
a. more fun
c. as fun
37. My best friend is the guy _______ by the door
b. Who stand
d. Is standing
38. I'm not sure yet, but I________ study for a master's degree
39. A: Would you mind turning on the light?
a. Sure, go ahead
b. No not at all
c. No, go on then
d. No problems
40. A: We didn't get any homework last night
B: I ____________ you were happy!
41. I am not going out tonight. I have to study really_______ for an exam tomorrow
c. to hard
42. I've never _______ to Europe
d. to be
43. What's the ______ restaurant in your town?
44. I can't spend ____ money on clothes as my friends can
a. as much
b. as many
c. less than
d. fewer than
45. When I was a kid, my parents never let me______ up late during the week
a. to day
46. I didn't ________ to like jazz music, but now I think it's OK.
47. Are you interested in _________ poetry?
a. to write
48. If you have toothache, you'd ________ go to the dentist.
49. A: My friend is always borrowing my CDS.
B: Well, at ________ he returns them to you
50. A: I can't believe it! Live won a prize!
B: You ____________ ?
51. I found a web site_________ helps you find your old school friends
52. After you break________ with someone, you should try and stay friends.
53. I wish I _______ more free time
b. 'il have
c. 'm having
54. What___ you do if you found a wallet on the sidewalk?
55. I have no idea what time_________
a. is it
b. it is
56. I haven't seen that new movie_______
57. You ______ be really hungry after all that exercise!
58. The airport ___________ yesterday because of fog.
a. was closed
b. has closed
d. is closing
59. A: I go out with my friends almost every night
B: it's good to spend some time at home,____________
c. even though
60. I usually_________ for work, I often sleep too late.
a. cancel plans
b. find it hard to be on time
c. keep a low profile
d. lend someone
61. How did you end up __________ here?
b. to study
62. I don't look as scruffy ________ I did when I was a teenager
63. ____________ with your mouth full is considered bad manners.
b. to talk
64. This new CD ____________ to be excellent.
b. is supposed
65. A: Did you buy a gift?
B: No, I never got _____________
a. around to it
c. it's around
d. around it
66. Something should_______ about global warming.
a. be done
c. to do
67. Don't speed! You'll_____________
b. being arrested
c. get arrested
d. have arrested
68. Before you studied here, __________ English in another school?
a. are you studying
b. have you studied
c. would you study
d. had you studied
69. I think smoking _________ in restaurant.
a. ought to be banned
b. ought to ban
c. ought to be banning
d. ought to
70. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. I guess I ______ had a bad day, that's all
71. I always___________ at the hair dresser's
a. cut my hair
b. have cut my hair
c. am cutting my hair
d. have my hair cut
72. The TV needs______________
b. to fix
73. No wonder she's angry. You _________ have shouted at her like that.
74. The teacher asked us whether __________ our homework last week
a. we had done
b. had we done
c. were we doing
d. we have done
75. If I'd studied languages, I ___________ a translator.
a. 'm going to be
b. have been
c. will been
d. Would have been
76. This DVD'S amazing, __________?
a. doesn't it
b. does it
c. isn't it
d. is it
77. ___________ it would be quicker to driver to work, I usually walk.
a. In spite
78. Ten years from now, more people __________________Working at home
b. will be
c. would be
79. I _____________ get a promotion soon. My manager quit, and I'll probably get her job.
a. offer to
b. expect to
c. happen to
80. I don't __________ if you've heard, but there's a concert next weekend.